Friday, February 6, 2009

Re-evaluating Twitter

I'm not really a big fan of twitter - but there could be hope. I've tried it and while I know there is a ton of opportunity and even larger fan base, I couldn't quite wrap my mind around the value.

But it's a new year. We have a whole lot of things going on in SWANA, so maybe now is as good a time as any to give twitter another try. So I did.

Right now we're using twitter as an RSS of sorts. Basically our twitter feed captures all the conversations our association has on the social media realm. This provides a couple of benefits:
  • The groups themselves are organic, the marketing is controlled
  • Members can see the conversations first and then join the appropriate group (value before technology)
  • Those members on twitter can find us (2 so far)

We then set up a feed on feedburner pulling the twitter updates to our website automatically. And members who have RSS can then subscribe to one concise feed and listen to conversations across platforms.

It's a start and it's working well for what we're using it for. I'm not sure we're quite ready to unveil a twitter feed at one of our conferences but that's fine with me.

Thanks for reading,

bob
P.S. Two back to back - this blogging in bed is doing wonders (the joy of delayed posting).