Thursday, February 5, 2009

Standing Out from the Crowd

Aaron Wolowiec recently posted to Acronym about standing out from the crowd (which I somehow seemed to post the exact same thing twice - I wish it was a bit more insightful).

However when I read the post, I thought to over a year ago when I first started this blog. It was all about stepping out from the crowd. The first time I spoke at Great Ideas a couple years ago I wanted to step out from the crowd. So I gave it a shot - and was and still am nervous everytime I do. But now I'm a wee blip on the radar of the association world and have had some great opportunities and met some great people because of it. But none of that would have happened if I didn't break down my preconceived barriers (I'm too young to present to executives/nobody will read my blog) and go for it.

The worst thing that happens is nobody reads it - or it doesn't go very well. Failure is great in that it provides learning opportunities.

Thanks for reading,
bob

P.S. - I like Aaron's notion of "emerging" as opposed to "young" - maybe a rename is in order? I mean it is kinda ironic that I don't want people to focus on my age (and the lack of experience that comes with it) and yet my blog is called young association professional.