Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Social Media is my Dance Floor

Before social media I was the kid against the wall. Bet no one remembers me at Great Ideas two years ago (unless you were in my session). Why would you? I didn’t dance much at GI – I gave my speech, sat through some sessions and tried to network (which consisted of a smile and nod). I think it’s the curse of introversion.


After Social Media, though, I’m the YAP making strides. At this year’s Annual, I networked with top minds in the field, got great feedback at the unblogger con, made new contacts, participated in great conversations and overall had a better time and learning experience.


Why? This time I had the opportunity to dance in an arena I’m comfortable with. Personally, interacting with my peers online through blogging, social networks, etc, is much easier than your typical social interaction. Having established a network prior to the event, I was able to spend my time learning and building from that network as opposed to succumbing to the anxiety of typical social interactions.


I think ASAE’s own Megan Denhardt put it best when it comes down to social media – social media provides interactions that are valuable to those who need/want those types of interactions.


Social Media may be not be right for you, it may not be right for your active members, but there are great opportunities to level the social playing field with social outlets beyond your typical opening reception/networking events.


Social Media isn’t about the technology – it’s about leveling the playing field for all your members and meeting them where they dance best.


Thanks for reading,

bob



P.S. Special thanks to the blog uncon fogdirog for sharing your insights and adding what's quickly becoming one of the most versatile words in the English language to my vocab
P.S.S. – thanks to Lauren for trying to get me to dance on an actual dance floor – maybe next year…