Sunday, August 17, 2008

Last minute preparations

I'm so glad my session is early on in the conference, it allows me to get it over with and enjoy and relax for the rest of the event.

As I always seem to, I'm skipping the morning events to calm my nerves and do my final preparations. Though a recent posting from Maddie on Speaking certainly calmed my nerves.

Here are some of things that I've found from my last couple of presentations:

  • Get the audience involved - it not only gets you out from under the spotlight, but it also gets the audience involved.
  • Don't memorize, just talk - I tried a script one time and the first 30 seconds was terrible. I totally threw out my script and just talked - the rest worked out fine.
  • End short - I can only guess what individuals really want to hear about a given topic. If I cover what I think is important the whole time, then I probably will miss something they wanted covered.
  • Get the audience answering - this worked great at my tech conference session - the idea is to harness the experience and knowledge in the room. I've found that I'm only a small piece of the pie
  • Give them something they can walk away with - whether its a technique, new way of thinking or a homework assignment - don't end the session with complete closure. Because the session is really just the beginning of the participants journey.
Well I'm running out of time. I'd appreciate any feedback if I'm totally off base and in the next 4 hours would be awesome :).

Wish me luck and thanks for reading,
bob