Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What I am reading

Jamie tagged me with what I'm reading so here goes.

I tend to alternate between leisure and professional development books - I'm current reading for leisure.

The book is American Gods written by Neil Gaiman.

It's interesting though, and with a bit of stretching, the book relates to associations (bear with me). This is because the book primarily revolves around the battle that is about to errupt between tradition (in this case old gods such as Odin) and innovation (in this case represented by the technologies that are worshipped by people today.)

Before I dive into this in more detail, the tag states I am suppose to type sentences 6 -8 of page 123. Well here it is (sorry Jamie, not sure if this is what you were looking for.)

"Then the church door opened, a priest came out, and the ghosts, haunts, and corpses vanished, and only the priest and drunk were left alone in the graveyard. The priest looked down at the drunk distainfully, and backed through the open door, which closed behind him, leaving the drunk on his own. The clockwork story was deeply unsettling."

Like my book, it appears there could be a war coming - or more appropriatley a revolution - in the association sphere.

I've been thinking of what to post about this, but I'll save us both time - check out Maddie's killer post.

The only thing I'd add is that we assume all associations are equal (and maybe they are), but I would think the membership base would determine whether you roll with fire or cocktails. Some members may demand a trail of fire, others may totally be alienated by it. And the last thing I would imagine you'd want to do is alienate key/founding members who have given days of their time just to be told "...[they're] history. [they're] forgotten. [they're] old. Tell [them] that we are the future and we don't..." care about them.

This was the closing statement from one of the new American Gods (which I assume is some sort of technology - the book hasn't revealed which one yet). We can't abadon tradition, we need to reshape and build off of it. A revolution is coming, I think we all agree with that, but how much ill-will must be spilled?

Thanks for reading,
Bob

P.S. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way I brought this post full circle.